Pages

26.1.09

Working with the Elements..


Can you believe the downpour of snow? I'll admit that when I first saw how much snow we had received over night, I was a little discouraged.( I think I even gasped!) I decided that instead of sulking, I would be thankful for the moisture and enjoy it. If you can get past the freezing part, it really is so beautiful.




I bundled up the kids and headed out to make a snowman. Chris offered to stay in with Finley because she was running a bit of a fever. I thought it was so sweet of him, until I discovered there was a game on that he wanted to watch.( How Convenient..) We were originally making one snowman, which quickly turned into two, and somehow turned into our entire family. Although I did most of the work, it paid off. They were rediculously cute.



I got this next idea from the wonderful magazine, Wonder time. It is chuck full of all sorts of fun tips, recipes, and things to do with your children. You just fill water bottles with water and little bit of food coloring, and use it to paint a master piece in the snow. We added the candles and sprinkles, because the kids wanted to make a cake. It was so cute watching them decorate there snow cakes.




Gabe told me that this was the best day ever. It's always nice to hear that they are having a good day, instead of begging for a new mom.



Chandler went straight to work, and didn't stop until her cake was finished.
After they were all worn out, we went in for some grilled cheese and hot cocoa, YUMMY!



Gabe always holds up four fingers to show his age. There are very few pictures with out him raising his fingers in front of the camera, sorry.


They were so tuckered out from a day in the snow, and ready to jump into the book that we have been reading before bed every night. ( I have been reading only a few chapters a night, hoping that the movie will quickly find it's way to the cheap seats!) So far it has proven to be such a cute book. The beginning made me want a delicious bowl of hot soup! We can't wait for the movie.
Over all, I rate this day a perfect 10!!

Here is a recipe that we also got from Wonder time. I know that it is not yet February, but I made them anyway. All you need is a box of brownies, a box of cake mix, and a tub of frosting. I think in the magazine they chose Chocolate cake mix and Strawberry frosting, but I opted for, Red Velvet cake mix and Cream Cheese frosting, and I am so glad that I did. They turned out to be so yummy.


After the brownies cool, use a small heart cookie cutter and cut to the amount of cupcakes.

Add frosting, the heart shaped brownie, and there you have it.


Aren't they cute? I think I'll make some more for our Activity Days meeting.

25 comments:

Bon said...

Super cute Han! The Tale of Despereaux was a big hit with my kids. Although, the movie was cute, it wasn't at all as good or as cute as the book! Love the ideas...I will be sure to use them since a snowstorm hit here too! UGGGHHHH!

Marissa said...

You are such a fun mom! I loved that about my mom, we used to always do fun projects when we were little.

Those brownies/cupcakes look DELICIOUS! I'm going to have to try baking.

Harrigfeld said...

I love your snowmen. I am glad you found my blog. And YES lets go play tennis. I don't get to play much. It is too much $ for my pocket so any chance I get I would like to go. Call me!!

jen said...

I love the painting in the snow! How fun! Next time it snows here we'll have to do that! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog.

Becca said...

1- I must get some of those squirt bottles. But TOTALLY CREATIVE to add candles and sprinkles!!!! Such divine mommy tips.
2- I love your owl layout. I loved owls way before you, though, so stop copying me.
3- Your snowman family is adorable. I want a picture of each person standing by their frozen counterpart.
4-

The Reeder Raiders said...

Ok, this to cute. It is a "hoot". laughing at your cute boarder. I found a cute boarder, but "YOU" have to wait for February to see it. I know "YOU" will get a laugh out of it.

Holly said...

FUN! I'm def. checking out that book! Your day looked alot like our day on Saturday, Perfect! :)

Don't you LOVE WOnder Time Magazine?! It's the best!!

Oh and I LOVE the new look of your blog! SOOO stinkin' cute! Just like you!

JANEAL said...

Sounds like a PERFECT day! You are always doing fun things with your kids, you're a great mom. I love your snowman family. We only have enough snow to make one snowman...not a whole family! I'll have to get that book and read it to Carter.

C.B. said...

Your are such a great mom. What a fun idea. I love your owl background too, it is darling.

Brenda said...

Look ar you wonder mom! I did a giggle this morning when I drove by all your snowmen today! I especially enjoyed the Pepsi cup in the dad's hand! So, So Funny!! I love all your cute little ideas! Can't wait to try them!

Tanya said...

How fun!! I'm totally gonna do painting in the snow with Chloe, she'll have so much fun! and I'm gonna look into getting that magazine!

Anonymous said...

You are such a cute mom. I love all the ideas that you post. I have even tried some my kids love it when “I” come up with a new idea to try..
The family of snowmen is superb!! What a great way to spend the day..
I hope Finley feels better soon

~Our Rockabilly Army Lives~ said...

I love the snow cake idea..lol..so cute. If we LIVED where there was snow it would be fun to do..lol..alas AZ doesn't get much in the way of snow. I also love the cupcake with the heart brownie on it, I saw something like it in Martha Stewart Mag I made last week. YUMMO! Miss you you tard!

Crazy Livin' said...

I love all your ideas. You inspire me to be a better mom and person. I love you hanna
Love Ali

SueAnn said...

I love wonder magazine! Cute Ideas!!

Terry Family said...

Very cute and creative ideas. I love the snowmen, how fun is that. By the way we beat you by far when it comes to the amount of snow, so be thankful your not here. At the rate we are going we will have snow until June!! By the way I have one request... when you get a chance will you post an updated photo of adorable sweet Finley? Thanks in advance. Love you guys and feel free to come visit any time especially now if you want to be surrounded by an enourmous amount of snow.

Anonymous said...

Can I come to Activity Days so I can have one??! I love the snowmen out front. We laughed on the way to church, especially with the Pepsi cup! Thanks for all the fun ideas.

Heidi Anderson said...

So So super cute Hanna! You are the number 1 MOM! You do so much fun things with your kids I love it! Those cupcake/brownies looked YUMMY! The snowman family was a great idea! I'm glad you had a wonderful day with your kids! Hope Finley feels better! love you

Janiel said...

You have the GREATEST blog! I ALWAYS come away with some ideas to steal. This time...love, love the colored water with snowmen and the heart brownies. Sounds like a fun day...
(oh, love your new festive blog look too...cute!)

Nichelle said...

Super cute snowman family!! You are such a fun Mommy! Guess What!! The Tale of Despereaux is at the Paramount, we took our kids to it on Saturday afternoon!! I hope you enjoy the movie.

Bunnell's said...

Hanna...you are so cute. Truth be told I secretly check out your blog for ideas and whats new. I love your sister, Bon. She tells me how talented you are and you definitely are.

I love this post! Gonna have to try the cookie cutter..

Kate Call said...

mmm.. those cupcakes and brownies look delish! you're such a cut lil mom han!

Melissa said...

I don't think you have enough comments yet...wow! I LOVE LOVE LOVE all of your ideas, I am seriously going to steal them! Well...I am hoping to not have to steal the snow idea because I really don't want it to snow here again, I am so done with the cold weather! But the cupcake idea is awesome!!

LGourley said...

Happy Birthday Hanna! How did the mouse thing work out? I hope you are having a great birthday.

Mandy said...

I haven't blogged in months but the first thing I had to do was check yours out. ( I will slowly but surely get back to mine once I get settled back in to my TN routine. )
I LOVE your kids day! What a great mom you are to stay out in the snow for hours with them thinking of fun, creative things to do. I would have never thought of a snow cake!!! Your rock boogs.
Sure am sad I missed seeing you while in Idaho but hopefully you'll come visit soon. :) Hee, hee! I love you and Happy Birthday girl!!