Pages

13.1.09

A New Year..

Just the sound of "A New Year", makes me want to try harder and do better in life. Aside from the usual wanting to be healthy, exercise and lose weight, yadda, yadda, yadda. I wanted to share some of my less depressing and more achievable resolutions.
I call these, " THE FAVE FIVE".


#1-The first thing I wrote when I made my list was, " Don't sweat the small stuff."


I want nothing more than to be one of those moms that break out the camera when the entire bag of flour has been spilt, Or laugh when a whole glass of milk has been knocked off of the table onto the carpet. I fear that this is one of those less achievable aspirations of mine, but I truly want to master the art of making lemonade out of those nasty little lemons that life hands our way.



BONUS...This goal comes with a yummy recipe.

Perfect Lemonade Recipe
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
1 cup water (for the simple syrup)
1 cup lemon juice
3 to 4 cups cold water (to dilute)
Method:
1 Make simple syrup by heating the sugar and water in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved completely.
2 While the sugar is dissolving, use a juicer to extract the juice from 4 to 6 lemons, enough for one cup of juice.
3 Add the juice and the sugar water to a pitcher. Add 3 to 4 cups of cold water, more or less to the desired strength. Refrigerate 30 to 40 minutes. If the lemonade is a little sweet for your taste, add a little more straight lemon juice to it.
Serve with ice, sliced lemons.
Serves 6.
My second goal goes hand in hand with the first.
#2- I want to be more thankful for the things I have, and count my many, many blessings.
I went to the movie, "Marley & Me" last week, and this movie basically summed up my second goal. I loved every single part of this movie. It rang so true to real life and how we can get so caught up in the bad things in life that we forget to focus on what truly matters. It was one of those laugh/cry movies. I recommend this to anyone who hasn't already seen it. It is a perfect date movie with your hubby.




My third goal is one of the most important on my list,

#3- Simplify and Organize.





This doesn't only apply to the physical clutter in my life, but the mental as well. I really want to focus on my family more and make them my priority. I feel like they have always been my main focus in life, but I find myself getting so caught up in the busyness of life that I forget that they are the most important part. I want my days to be scheduled around my family and not the other way around. I want to put more effort into our FHE's, and really put an emphasis on the love I have for each individual. I truly feel that "Cleanliness is next to Godliness", and I think that if I can simplify and organize our family will truly benefit from it.




That brings me to my fourth goal. I hope that you know I wrote these in no particular order. I just jotted down what came to my head.

#4- Be Better Prepared/Budget and Save.




I really want to work toward better preparing ourselves. I want to put more toward my children's schooling in the future, and the missions that they may serve. I would also like to put more effort into food storage and into building a better savings. Although I feel that I have inherited my thrifty shopping skills from my father, I think that I could do better to only buy things that we truly need and not just buy things because they have a pretty price...YIKES... I am guilty thrift shopper!

This brings me to the final of "THE FAVE FIVE". This could very well be the hardest, and in order to accomplish it I know that I need to work on myself each and every day.

#5- I want to be the BEST wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend, that I can be.


Happy New Year

If it didn't bring you joy, just leave it behind

Let's ring in the new year with good things in mind.

Leave every bad memory that brought heartache and pain

And let's turn a new leaf with the smell of new rain.

Let's forget past mistakes, making amends for this year

Sending these greetings to bring hope and good cheer.

Happy New Year!

(-author unknown)

14 comments:

Bon said...

I love your five fav goal list! Thanks for sharing! I love the New Year too and love the chance to start fresh and do better and be better!

Love ya!

Janiel said...

Those are some WONDERFUL resolutions! I too fall into many of those same pit falls and am really trying to simplify, slow down and just be happy and grateful. It is always easier said than done...but "working on it" is half the battle and makes for a better person. Also, been dying to see Marley and Me...thanks for the review!

Terry Family said...

Best of luck with your goals. Knowing you there is no reason you will not be able to achieve them.

Not sure if you have seen my mom yet, but if not she has a bag full of clothes that Mekenna has outgrown for you to pick through for Chandler. Miss you guys and love you!

Holly said...

You need to blog more often my friend! So uplifting. I LOVE it. To be quite honest, I don't think you need these resolutions, you already have all of them mastered!!! You are the best mom, wife & friend! Hey have you talked to Mandy? Did we want to try and get together with Chels??

Nichelle said...

You are so cute!! I love your fave five. I am sure that I could just use the same goals as you for the new year. I really need to work on all of the things that you mentioned. I hope you guys are having a wonderful new year!

Becca said...

Boogs, neat goals.

Anyway, what I really want to know is where you got that cute picture of the bookshelves with the fish from Cat in the Hat coming out of the bowl? :)

Crazy Livin' said...

CUte Hanna, and thanks for sharing. You are the best mom and wife though. You really are such a good mom, and a good organizer...so I might have to steal those goals. My goal is to make is past this year...I am already welcoming 2010... :O)
I love you
Ali

Amberlee said...

I set some of the same goals for myself this year. From the outside looking in it seems as if you already have most of those goals mastered! Thanks for the help with the beadboard thing- I'm sure I'll call with more questions Miss Craftmaster! :)

the Petterson Family said...

That lemonade recipe seems so refreshing! Perfect recipe for the FRESH new year! I hope that all your 2009 dreams come true!

SueAnn said...

Those goals are pretty similar to my own. The hard part is to keep at them ALL year! Yikes! You seem to have most of those things down!!

Mandy said...

I want to make a five favorite goal list!!! Very cute boogs and what perfect goals to have....I got chills on a couple of them because I could use a little more in my life. :)
I just went to Marley and Me 2 nights ago with my in-laws. SOOOO GOOD!!! I cried so much. ( seems to happen more and more each year. must come with old age.;)
So I will be home tomorrow and would love to see you. Maybe that night or lunch with kiddos on Sat. or whatever. I'm always up for anything.
Hope all is well. Miss you!! XOXO

happystuff7 said...

those are all awesome goals for the year I think I might added to mine

Katie Lee said...

Those are super good goals. as for the lemons, I say 'when life hands you lemonades, squeeze the juice into your enemies eyes!" tee hee! love you. Thanks for the uplift!

Melissa said...

Those are such great goals to make, but I agree with everyone else...you've already achieved them! I felt like you were writing that list for me, not you!!