Pages

22.8.08

HOME AT LAST!!!!!

As you all know, we have spent the past few weeks down at Primary Children's Hospital. I know that my sisters have been filling you in with updates, but many of you are curious to know the whole story so here it goes. Finley was born a few weeks early on July 17, a healthy and happy baby! She was a whopping 7lb's 1 ounce and 21 inches long. I had gone into labor on the fifteenth and due to the lack of dilation I was sent home until we went back in on the seventeenth and had our beautiful baby girl. We brought her home and I felt like we were living a dream with three healthy, beautiful children. Into the second week of Fins life I started noticing her coloring was a little off. She almost had a blue tint to her. She was also breathing really funny. Of coarse I thought I was being paranoid , but decided to take her in anyway. They said she was as healthy as a whistle and not to worry. We went home and that's when things started getting worse. Finley was projectile vomiting after every feeding, and her coloring started to turn a definite shade of blue. It looked like she would stop breathing for short periods of time, but they kept telling me she was fine and probably just fighting a bit of a cold! By this time we had been to the pediatricians 4 times that week, but every time I would hear the same thing," she is perfectly healthy." In my doctors defense, she really didn't show any of these symptoms during the appointment. Each time I went in, her coloring was good and her vitals were 100% perfect. I couldn't understand why I was having such a hard time believing everything was okay. I thought I was crazy, and maybe a little sleep deprived. I was reassured that I wasn't just paranoid because when ever anyone would hold her they would say, " she almost looks blue," or "she is breathing really fast!" It would make me panic all over again. I didn't want to sleep in case she stopped breathing. She was dropping her weight and was still vomiting every time she ate. The apnea spells kept getting worse. On Saturday morning I had been up all night trying to get her to eat anything. I was sobbing in frustration, I knew there was something more to it than a little bug, but I was confused. When i picked her up to feed her around eight in the morning, she was so cold. She was wrapped in two warm blankets and it was a really warm night, so again I started balling and called the doctor for yet another visit. I fed her and prayed she would keep it down, but again she threw it all up. After she threw it up, she quit breathing. It wasn't holding her breath or periodic breathing that babies sometimes do, she was completely lifeless in my arms. I still can't explain all of the feelings and thoughts that went through my mind. I screamed to Chris and he saw it as well. We had to stimulate her to get her to breathe again. Finally she took a breathe, her coloring came back and she appeared to be breathing normally. I was so angry, why was she only having these spells at home, and why wasn't any one worried? We took her in right away. We had debated the E.R. but decided that the pediatrician was more specialized in child care and gave it one more shot. This time I wasn't taking "she is fine for an answer"! We rushed her in and right as we got there she quit breathing again. I ran sobbing with her in my arms and the doctors quickly checked her vitals. I saw panic on his face and he started to work with her to get her to breath again. Before we even got the oxygen on her, the ambulance was there. We took her across the street to the E.R. and this is when the whirlwind of emotions started for our little family. They put her on a high flow of oxygen to keep her stats up and hooked her up to monitors and I.V's. I hated feeling so helpless. She had several other episodes and that's when they decided that they weren't equipped for this and life flighted me and the baby to Primary Children's in Utah. Chris rushed home and threw a few things together and headed for Utah to meet us. We didn't get to explain anything to the kids or even let them know where we were going. The last thing they saw was an ambulance rushing to the pediatricians and there baby being hurried off to the E.R. My mom and sister met us at the hospital and took the kids. Chandler understood that something was wrong, but didn't know what? I hate that they had to see all of this. As soon as we got to Utah, she was rushed up to the fourth floor, which was the NICU and surgical unit. They did some more tests poked and prodded and then her stats started dropping again. Then they rushed us down stairs to the PICU where it was more intensive care and put her on the highest flow of oxygen. We were one step away from being on a respirator. I have never felt so hopeless at any time in my life and seeing all of the other children down there made it worse. They were all just barely clinging on to life and it is the most depressing place I think I have ever been. They hooked her up to more machines and started antibiotics to cover all the bases. She was on about seven different antibiotics, I.V. fluids, High flow Oxygen and they were suspecting spinal Meningitis. From then on we just watched as they tested, poked and prodded our sweet baby girl. She was so bad that when they put in her I.V. she didn't even move or cry. It was so hard to find a good vein because of how tiny they were. They had already tried three times before finding a good vein in Idaho Falls and now they were trying again here. I knew it had to be done, but I wanted to rip all of the cords and I.V.'s off and tell everyone to leave her alone. My poor baby looked so miserable. We were in the PICU for several nights and slowly all of the test results were all coming back negative. They did diagnose a severe case of reflux. She had aspirated her food up so many times and had inhaled so much acid into her lungs, that hey described it like a scab covering her lungs. The reflux still didn't explain her chest x-ray. They expected some type of Pneumonia but it wasn't clear. Usually there are definite splotches that indicate Pneumonia, but hers was just foggy everywhere which didn't make sense to them. She slowly started to fight off whatever foreign thing was in her lungs and showed signs of improvement. They were able to ween her slowly down on the oxygen and put a feeding tube in to help her gain calories. The worst part about the feeding tube is that they get the benefit of calories but the tube completely bypasses the stomach so she never got the satisfaction of being full. They came up with all kinds of possible diagnosis's from meningitis to her feeding and breathing tubes being connected, to her esophagus having a whole in it and needed to be repaired, to her organs being in the wrong place, but again slowly one by one all of the new tests were coming back negative. It was so nice to hear that she didn't need surgery, but we were frustrated that we still didn't know what else was causing such severe episodes. Soon They moved us back upstairs where it was a little less scary, and one step closer to going home. We were happy to leave the PICU, but sad to see so many of the families we had talked with and gotten to know still have to stay there. One family wasn't expecting there four year old to even make it. they had already been there for several months and I can't tell you how sad it was to see them everyday, constantly by there sons side and not knowing whether or not he was going to make it. They had him on a respirator and on the highest form of everything they could do. Sweet little Jackson had already survived cancer and now he was going through an infection spread throughout his body! He is a strong boy and we still pray for him and his family each and every day. Another little boy Daxton had been there for three months and was waiting for a heart. he was only four months old and was barely holding on. His family was so optimistic and positive. I loved there attitude and energy, it really helped me be more positive. One more story that I will never forget was a conversation I overheard when I was in the nursing room. An overly excited mother was talking to her husband over the phone. She said, " honey I have terrific news. The baby has almost doubled her birth weight, she is now three lbs. and they said we can possibly go home in two months, if not definitely on her due date!" I think I sat there crying for another hour before I could move! Hearing these stories were so humbling and made me feel so selfish for complaining about being there for a few weeks. My heart hurts for those families and they are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. It was definitely a humbling experience. The encouragement from all of the nurses, doctors, and families really helped us to stay positive. Finley was still showing signs of improvement everyday and it made us so hopeful. They finally decided to test for bacterial Pneumonia, they called it "air Pneumonia" which she could have caught from anyone. Someone could have not even shown signs of a cold and because of the severity of her lungs she picked it up and it caused pneumonia. They were pretty sure that this isn't what she had, because they said most cases are so clear and the baby usually can't fight it off on there own. They said she would most likely have been on the respirator and in much worse condition. When the test results came back, it was positive. They could finally pin point something and treat it so that she would only get better. They were in awe that she was doing so well with this type of pneumonia on top of her burnt lungs. We know it is all of the blessings and prayers from all of our friends, family, and perfect strangers that made the difference. I can't tell you how grateful I am for the power of the priesthood in my life and for the power of prayer and faith. I am so thankful for such good family and friends. I feel that saying thank you is entirely inadequate for everything that everyone has done for our family. I wish there were some way for me to repay all of the things you have all done for us. We can't put into words how much love we have felt these past few weeks. It was the visits, phone calls, letters, gifts ,cards, generous donations, people taking care of my yard and house, prayers, blessings, meals and much much more that kept us going, and kept us hopeful that everything was going to be okay. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!! I know I could never thank everyone enough for the support that we have felt, but please know how truly blessed we feel to live in such a great and giving community! There is no where else that we would rather be! We love you all and feel so blessed to be home again. Finley is still on oxygen and her lungs are slowly improving. She is still so fragile and can easily catch sicknesses so we aren't having many visitors. She is such a champ and is getting stronger everyday. She has almost gained a pound since her birth weight and we are starting to see her cute double chin again! She will have to take two medicines for the first year of her life, and possibly the rest of her life if the reflux doesn't get better and we have had to make a few adjustments to her lifestyle because of the reflux. It is all manageable and worth it for the health of our sweet baby girl! We love you all and are so happy to be home!

36 comments:

Devyn said...

that was so touching. i kept thinking that i needed to stop reading because i kept tearing up and wanting to bawl. i am so so thankful that your baby girl is doing so much better! she will be just fine! if you need anything please let me know! we are keeping you and your family in our prayers. we love you!!!!!

Keri said...

I've been anxiously waiting for this post. I am SO relieved to hear that you are finally home and that she is doing so much better. We will definitely continue to pray for you and your family.

Roylance Rec. Center said...

That's for maing me ball like a baby. i already knew all of that and as I read it I got all teary and emotional. I love you. Give that baby girl lots of kisses from me and I will e-mail the pics of your kids when they stayed with me.
Love you
Ali

Unknown said...

Oh Hanna- I am so glad that things are going better! We will continue to pray for you and your precious baby. Your story is so touching especially the stories of the other families.
Thank you for sharing their stories, and your own. Sometimes I think I get caught up in the daily sibling fights, and the hard days of being a mom and these stories have given me a chance to think about all the many blessings in my life, sometimes I need these little reminders of humility.
I know everything will get better!

Lisah said...

I am so glad things worked out so well for Finley and they could get her feeling better! Thank you for sharing the stories of other families. It is good to be reminded that there are so many people out there who need prayers. we are so grateful for you and Finley! I LOVE YA!

SueAnn said...

I can't even imagine how hard this experience must have been for you and your family! I am so glad that things are getting better and that you guys are home!

Holly said...

Hanna, we are just so happy that you are home and Finley is doing better. You are an amazing momma! Let us know if you need ANYTHING at all! :)

Amber said...

I am so glad you are home and that Finley is doing better. I cried reading your post, first because you were so blessed and able to save your daughters life by getting her the helped she needed, but also because it reminded me so much of our NICU experience. It is not something you can understand unless you have been through it. We will continue to pray for you. I hope your family can get some rest now and enjoy being home.

Nichelle said...

I cried reading your post. I am so glad that she is getting better and that you guys are home. I hope that you can start getting some much needed sleep. Let me know if you need anything at all. You continue to be in our prayers.

Bon said...

I loved your post Han! I am so glad that Fin is doing so much better! We continue to pray for you and your family each day! Thank you for sharing the stories of others! It is amazing that in hard times we always can have something to be grateful for! Something to make us realize it could be worse! I am sad you have to go through this trial but I know that trials shape and mold us and make us strong! Hang in there and know we love you guys so much!!!

MISS YOU!!!! Smother that cute baby for me, will ya, with kisses, and My sweet little Chandler and Gabe!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to hear the whole story. I'm so greatful that that's all it was and that she will be able to recover on her own. We are so happy you're back and hope that everything will continue to get better :) You know you can call for ANYTHING!!

Janiel said...

I sat it utter awe, as I read your story. As a mother I cant imagine the utter hell you all went through watching your baby fight such a couragous fight. She sounds like quite the little fighter! What an absalute miracle it is to have happy, healty babies. Things are so fradgile in life and I thank you for putting me in check and making myself look within more than ever to give more hugs, say more I love you's and be thankful all the more. I know we dont know each other, but as mothers there is just a connection. I remember checking your blog, looking at such a happy, adorable newborn...and the next minute I read..terrible news. Again, SOOO glad to hear little Fin is doing better and my thoughts and prayers are still with you all until she is running around driving you all nuts with the terrible twos!

Anonymous said...

Hannah I am so glad to hear that you are home finally and the Finley is doing better. She sure is beautiful and you are truley blessed. Good luck hope everything goes great from here on out.

The Michiganders said...

I have been watching your blog these last few weeks and praying for your little family. I am so happy to hear your sweet baby girl is home.

I am a NICU nurse. I was thinking the worst wehn Brenda called and told me what you guys were going through. Now reading the whole story I just kept thinking--thank heavens you were holding her.

Thanks heavens you were so on top of things. Though it must have been terrifying--I really feel like you were part of a miracle.

Thanks for sharing with us the reminder to each be grateful for our blessings.

JANEAL said...

I'm so glad you got to come home and bring Finley with you. What a terrifying thing to have to go through. I'm glad you didn't ignore it when the doctors told you nothing was wrong.
We sure missed you at recipe group. Hopefully we'll see you next month!

Head Over Hills said...

I am so glad to hear how well your baby is doing. Brenda has been keeping me in the loop. Thanks for sharing your story. I know that sounds crazy to say, but I really appreciated reading it tonight. It was really touching and made me feel so very grateful for my children and the gospel. Good luck with everything and I hope your baby gets better soon!

Jessica said...

Oh boy, it is such a humbling experience to be down at Primary Children's Hospital. Both of my brother's babies had to be life flighted down there and just like you said, watching the optimistic families with a baby in much worse condition than your own makes you thankful. The doctors there are so well trained & experienced and helpful too which is also great!

We're so glad your home and your sweet baby girl is doing better!

C.B. said...

I am glad she is home now. Your family is an amazing example of strength.

Brad Christensen said...

Hannah, I can't even write this without feelings of overwhelming relief. I'm so glad for you and your family that Finlly will be ok. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers and we can't wait to see your special girl when she is able. Please please call if there is anything our family can do for yours. nicole

jenn said...

han- i am so glad that you are home with your baby, you are in my thoughts and prayers often.
know that i love ya!

Kellie said...

Your story brings back so many memories of our NICU stay. I'm so happy to see you guys are home and that your little girl is doing so well.

Brenda said...

I can't believe how scary and hard this was for you guys! I am so glad all is well, I love to read about how strong you were-even if you didn't feel like it, not many of us could have found anything to be positive about! So glad you are home, we were missing you!! Thanks for always making us laugh our heads off, you are a funny funny girl!!! Let us know if we can help!

Terry Family said...

Hey hanna we missed you and Finley very much this weekend! It was good to see Chris, Chandler, and Gabe though. Thank you for taking the time to give us the experience in your words. I have been worried sick about all of you and cried numerous times over the situation. I am relieved and thankful Finley is doing better. I would love to stop by and visit when the time is right. Meanwhile know you and the family our in my thoughts and prayers and I love you all very much!!

Sandi said...

Hanna, I am so glad your baby is finally home and that they know what to do for her now. She is so beautiful and such a strong spirit, when I saw her I just wanted to cuddle her. You are an amazing mother blessed with such great children and a wonderful husband. You will definitely be in our prayers still. Love you.

Kate Call said...

AT LAST!! so glad to hear things are looking up!! we will continue to pray for you and your little family han! your so cute and such a good person, so the Lord will definetly bless you and your family like he already has! good luck settling back in! i want to come see you and your little sweetie when i'm home next for sure!

Amberlee said...

That totally made me cry! I am so happy that Finley is doing better. I can't even imagine what you have been through. Our thoughts and prayers are still with your family!

Mandy said...

I LOVE YOU HANNA!!!!!

Natalie♥ said...

we are so glad you made it home with your sweet baby girl. You are such a good Mom your kids are lucky to have you. Hope things get better for you soon. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Hanna I was so relieved to know that you are home and that Finley is doing better with each passing day. I'm so glad to hear the updates on Finley! You and your family are in our hearts and prayers...We love you all so much please let us know if we can do anything...I know that prayers are the best for now, but let us know!!

Becca said...

Hanna, this is so well-written and poignant. Thanks for sharing the whole story--and the stories of the other people at Primary Children's! (Though I didn't really want to get teary and sniffy at the Bear Lake County library) I am so glad you are home, Sis, and Finley is always in our prayers. Love you!

LGourley said...

We are so happy that you are finally home! We sure missed you and Finley last weekend; it just wasn't the same without you. And we would have loved to have spent time getting to know Finley. Please let me know if you need anything (for example, Chandler and Gabe can come and play with Chase and Emmalee for a while). You are in our thoughts and prayers and we hope Finley continues to improve.

Tanya said...

it's so sad to see little babies go through such difficult things, I'm so glad she is doing better and that you guys are home! we'll continue to pray for her health.

Melissa said...

You are definately loved, look at all these comments! Your post was so touching and had me crying. I have no doubt that Finley was sent specifically to you because of how strong and amazing you are. She is so blessed to have you and I am so grateful that she is doing better. That is a mothers worst nightmare and I am sorry you had to live it. My heart aches for you and the other families, let me know if there is anything I can do. Love ya!

Ann-Michelle said...

i told todd about your scare- majore sca, i should add- and he even teared up! we are so relieved for you to be home and it looks like things are looking up. congratulations on being home- your in our prayers!

The Reeder Raiders said...

Hanna and family, My love to you all. I understand you feeling of having a baby in PICU... My prayers and love are with you. Grandma says Hello she always asks if one of us have read you blog so we know how Findley is. *i am glad to hear she is improving daily. Much love to you all.. Aunt Debi

Elise said...

Hi Hanna-- I'm not sure if we've ever met, but I'm Becca's friend and Ann-Michelle's sister. Anyway, I just had to comment on your amazing story-- I was in tears from the first sentence! I am so glad that your sweet baby is improving and that she is home with you. Hearing first hand about miracles like this really puts things in perspective. Thank you so much for sharing!